Recipe from Apples, Bean Dip, and Carrot Cake
This book is available from AVS and can be ordered here.
Yield: 12 cupcakes
2 teaspoons corn oil or other vegetable oil
1/2 pound regular firm tofu
1 cup orange juice
1 cup granulated cane juice or other sweetener
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon baking soda
2 teaspoons dried orange peel
1/2 teaspoon dried ginger powder
1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached flour
1. Put a drop of the oil in each of the muffin tin’s cups. Spread it around with a paper towel. If using a non-stick tin, skip this step.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Drain and rinse tofu. Cut to 1/2-pound size and store the remainder.
4. Put all ingredients except flour in blender.
5. Blend until smooth. If cocoa sticks to sides of blender, turn it off; use scraping spatula to scrape the cocoa and blend again. Pour into bowl.
6. Add flour to bowl. Mix just until there are no lumps.
7. Put batter into muffin tins. Use a paper towel to wipe off anything that spills on the muffin tin (so it doesn’t burn or run over the edge while baking).
8. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool.
9. Flip onto cooling rack or paper towels. If the cupcakes don’t come out easily, smack the tin or gently pull them out.